Sunday, September 19, 2010

Cheek by Jowl

Rather disturbing day. Lucy and I returned from our trip to the mountains to discover that our house had been re-let. The new chap was standing in our living room, in a shirt and suit pants, looking uncertainly at my collection of first edition TinTins. His partner was stocking our fridge with yoghurt.

Lucy and I retreated to our room for a discussion. These people certainly seemed pretty sure of themselves. I ventured out to take a look at their papers, which were scattered on the kitchen table. There was a rental agreement there, with our landlord's signature on.

Typical of our landlord. He's always sending people around without informing us. Plumbers, carpenters, tree removalists. Clearly this is a passive-aggressive attempt to evict us, in favour of a pair of 'Young Professionals'.

It's dreadfully awkward all round. From what I can see, Lucy and I really have nothing in common with these people at all. Still, we have no intention of leaving. This is our house, and we're paid up until at least the end of next month.

I went through some of the chap's boxes which were stacked in the living room. He has a whole box full of self-help guides. 'Six Steps to Becoming a Persuasive Speaker' and so forth. He clearly wasn't comfortable with me glancing through his things, but he apparently hasn't reached the Step of being able to handle confrontations yet. He busied himself hanging pictures in the study until I went back to the bedroom.

Dinner was uncomfortable. The four of us shared the table, Lucy in front of me and the other woman on my left. There was nothing to be said, so we simply treated our new housemates like a couple seated too close to us at a restaurant. I refuse to be pertubed by these people. I am a scholar, and my habits must not be disrupted.

They're moving their bed into our lounge room now. It looks like we might be in for a long haul here.

No comments:

Post a Comment